v0.7 add horizontal ListBox

Started by starkhorn, 21 September 2015, 03:24:48

starkhorn

Hi Texus,

Is it possible to add a horizontal scrollbar to a listbox? I have some string items that are too long to display on a single line and I would like users to be able to scroll horizontally so they are see the end of each line.

Or is there a way to display a single item over multiple lines?

texus

These things are not possible and don't look like they can be easily added.

I'll add it to my todo list but don't expect it anywhere soon. My university semester starts tomorrow and I don't think I will have much time to work on tgui until July next year. I'll always find time for bug fixes but don't expect any new features.

starkhorn

No worries mate - thanks for checking. Good luck with uni.

Should i post this new feature request somewhere so you can keep track of it when you next look at doing a new version?

texus

QuoteShould i post this new feature request somewhere so you can keep track of it when you next look at doing a new version?
No, it has already been added to my private todo list (actually just some random notes in a text file instead of a useful list, which is why it isn't public).

When I start working on the beta version I will go through that file and see which things I can do. But I doubt it will be done in the beta version, I think this can be added without breaking the api and it could thus even be added after 0.7.0 has been released.

starkhorn

Ok no problem. So to clarify I was going to suggest two new features.

1:- The horizontal scroll-bar on a listbox if the item is longer than the width of the listbox.
2:- Field formatting of items (in my case string items) on a per line basis.

i.e. I want to displaying something like below. So there is a delimiter that can seperate the items into fields/columns and the field/columns width or position can be defined. I know this is probably alot of work but I just thought to suggest it.

Code (cpp) Select

ListBoxCol1Row1 ListBoxCol2Row1 ListBoxCol3Row1
ListBoxCol1Row2 ListBoxCol2Row2 ListBoxCol3Row2

texus

About the multi-column feature, it has been requested several times with small variations. I guess I will really have to try to add it in 0.7, even though it will be a lot of work to make the widget fit all different use cases.

I think that the first request already dates back 1.5 or even 2 years ago, the github issue is almost a year old as well.

I'll try to make sure that it gets priority and should make it in 0.7-RC, I can't keep delaying it.

starkhorn

Quote from: texus on 28 September 2015, 22:47:16
About the multi-column feature, it has been requested several times with small variations. I guess I will really have to try to add it in 0.7, even though it will be a lot of work to make the widget fit all different use cases.

I think that the first request already dates back 1.5 or even 2 years ago, the github issue is almost a year old as well.

I'll try to make sure that it gets priority and should make it in 0.7-RC, I can't keep delaying it.

Hi Texus,

I know this is an old topic but I was wondering if the above new feature made it into v0.7 release? Specifically the multi-column feature in a listbox.

texus

No it hasn't been implemented yet, everything planned for 0.7-beta and 0.7-RC was delayed to 0.8.
You can try using the (not entirely finished) Table widget if that comes close enough to what you need. There is an example in the "examples/table-devel" folder.

starkhorn

Table looks awesome. I have a question on it but I'll start a new thread for that :)